Friday, August 13, 2010

Another Day, Another Dollar

Dim light started to creep into the warehouse. It had snuck down the alleyway when no one was looking, and now it gave the inside of the metal building a soft gray glow, lighting the dust in the air. The day was hot already, sticky and still. Inside the building was little escape from the heat. Forms were strewn about the place, half hidden in the mess. One form slept leaning against a crate, head on her chest and arm resting lightly across the automatic in her lap. A shock of pale yellow hair covered her forehead. A booted foot came out of the darkness and nudged her thigh persistently.

"Wake up, Frankie."

One startling blue eye opened and glared up into the darkness. "What do you want, Merc?"

The form knelt next to her, black eyes narrowed in the dark face. Long black, curly hair was pulled back, accenting the angularity of his features. He wore black leather, as usual. "There's something going on today down at the Company. I want to check it out. I want you to go with me."

She sighed and leaned back. "I was out all night. Get somebody else."

"The is nobody else for me. You know that, Frankie," his smile made him look like a cobra.

"I'm not going out to the Company during the day. Get over it."

He cupped her chin in his palm. "Come on, Frankie."

She knocked his hand away with the stock of her gun. "Don't touch me."

"Come with me. I’ll make it worth your while.”

Frankie regarded him with a skeptical look. “How are you going to do that?”

His eyes shifted to look at the other forms in the dim light. “Let’s talk outside.”

8 comments: